When I set out to start documenting our Disney trip, I immediately knew what I wanted to do with my Handbook cover. I wanted it to be playful, but understated. A Mickey ears silhouette + some sparkle (thanks to Mister Huey's Shine) set the perfect tone for what I'm hoping will be one magical album.
I opted to go classic for my cover wtih the Mickey ears, but you could use just about any shape that you wanted. For a quick how to on converting .PNG files to Silhouette cuts, check out my Disney DIY T-shirt post.
I started by making a Mickey shaped mask in Silhouette Studio. If you don't have a Silhouette, look for round objects you can trace onto scrap cardstock to make a mask - your kitchen is a great place to start!
I used the circle shape tool to make two circles - one big, and one small - and then copied & pasted the smaller one. That ensured that both ears would be the same size, and poor Mickey wouldn't end up lopsided. You can find the circle shape tool in the left menu bar - it's the one that looks like a circle!
Line up your shaped into a Mickey silhouette, select all of them, and then right click with your mouse and select "weld".
And just like that, you've got your shape! At this point you can resize it to fit your album cover. I'm using a Studio Calico Handbook, and the cover measures about 9inx10in. To download the .studio file I made for my cover, click here.
Cut your shape from cardstock with your Silhouette, and then decide where you'd like to place it on your cover. After playing around a bit, I opted to place it at the very bottom.
My Handbook has a fabric cover, and I wanted to use Mister Huey's Color Mists to get a tone on tone look. I could have opted for a mist similar in shade to my album, but I opted to use Shine. It adds just a bit of sparkle & glitter - consider it pixie dust in a bottle. ;)
I held the mist about 8 inches away from my album and misted away. I used a lot more mist than I would on a paper project - I wanted to be sure the fabric was well covered. My paper Mickey mask began to curl up a bit towards the end, so I used my free hand to hold it down. You may want to use temporary adhesive instead, so you don't end up as sparkly as I did.
When I had finished misting, there was a bit of a shadow around my Mickey ears (7ou can see it in the photo above). This faded over the next few days as the album dried completely - and I think this might be something you see just with the Mister Huey's Shine, since the metallic bits are suspended in the actual mist.
To finish the cover, I added chipboard letters, and then stitched through both them and the album. I really wasn't sure this would work - the Handbook has a fairly thick cover. I did a trial run on a corner of the back, and found that by using the knob on the side of my machine to control the needle by hand, I could work slowly though the cover. I wouldn't recommend trying this with any speed, that's for sure! You could leave the chipboard numbers unstitched, but I love the look of stitching and this will ensure that they aren't going anywhere!
As the days count down to our next trip, I'm realizing that there is no way this album will be done before we leave. But I *have* wrapped up printing photos - all 217 of them! I'll be sharing my plan for all of those photos soon.